Have you been seeking information about Mississippi Park Ranger Training and Degree Requirements? We have compiled some helpful information for you here.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Park rangers in Mississippi are focused on protecting outside recreational areas for visitors and residents. Mississippi park rangers perform functions including:
- Managing facilities at parks
- Supervising other workers
- Providing security for guests and park facilities
- Helping visitors in activities that are recreational
Park rangers in Mississippi possess the possibility of working as state park rangers for the Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks, or as national park rangers for the National Park Service.
Requirements to Become a Park Ranger with the Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks
Park ranger applicants must have a high school diploma or GED.
In order to provide yourself a competitive advantage for the field of park ranger, we advocate taking highly related school coursework at Mississippi schools and universities, including the following:
- Recreational Sports
- Outdoor Recreation
- Design, as well as care of, facilities
- Management of Recreation and Park Systems
Applicants who possess the following traits will have a distinct edge over other applicants:
- Strong work ethic
- Service orientation
- Self management abilities
- Self-development abilities
- Psychological maturity
- Good interpersonal skills
- Results-oriented behavior
Prerequisites – Anyone wanting to become a Mississippi Park Ranger must pass the following:
- A drug/alcohol screening evaluation
- A face-to-face interview
Physical Demands of Job:
- Be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Visual acuity at diverse ranges
- Great field of vision
- Three dimensional vision and depth perception
- Strong listening and speaking skills
- Motor coordination
Training for Mississippi Park Ranger Occupations – Much of the park ranger training for Mississippi is performed on the job. Skills learned will include: fire prevention, Emergency response, funding and budgeting.
Learning to be a Park Ranger through the National Park Service in Mississippi
You can find several job sites through the National Park Service in Mississippi, such as the following:
- Natchez National Historical Park
- Natchez Trace Parkway
- Tupelo National Battlefield
- Vicksburg National Military Park
The following prerequisites must be met by national park rangers in Mississippi:
- Hold U.S. citizenship
- Pass the Physical Efficiency Battery evaluation
- Pass a background investigation
- Pass drug screen and a health exam
Experience and education qualifications for GS-7 park ranger positions occur through:
Possessing one year of specialized expertise in natural resources law enforcement responsibilities
Logging 18 semester hours of graduate instruction associated with the park ranger occupation
Mix of education, as well as experience/expertise.
Salary Information for Park Rangers in Mississippi
Park Rangers in Mississippi take home a great salary while pursuing a fulfilling career protecting the land of Mississippi. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average Park Ranger in the state of Mississippi makes a median salary of $54,530 per year.
Park Ranger Programs and Schools in Mississippi
(It’s fast and free!)
Choose your area of study and receive free information about programs you are interested in. Park rangers are responsible for protecting our parks and wilderness areas as well as guiding and educating the public. These duties are the same across the local, state, and national levels. Park rangers pursue degrees related to parks and recreation, environmental science, as well as law enforcement and criminal justice.