Are you looking for information on how to work as a park ranger in Kentucky? Here, we have outlined the Kentucky Park Ranger Training and Degree Requirements.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Kentucky has wonderful natural landmarks including exceptional caverns, mountains, woodlands, and coastlines. The state has four national parks, and 52 state parks that are maintained by the Kentucky Department of State Parks.
- 24 diversion parks
- 11 historical parks
- 17 resort parks
Some of the more popular parks include:
- This grand park has amazing views and features a sandstone arch that is 78 feet long. The park hosts a variety of visitors who come to use the campground and bungalows.
- The site was his former residence, and hosts a museum that features memorabilia, publications, and his art.
Park supervisors manage the group of park rangers who maintain the park, as well as performing the functions themselves. These rangers work for the state’s Tourism, Arts, & Heritage Cabinet.
Tasks performed by Park Rangers in Kentucky can contain several of the following:
- Educating people about the area and about wildlife conservation
- Conducting tours
- Working outside and caring for nature
- Supplying visitors with advice
- Performing firefighting responsibilities and law enforcement, including collecting use license fees and gear sales, and performing property care
- Helping injured or missing hikers
- Providing exceptional customer service and communicating with park guests
- Compiling environmental data on plant and wildlife populations
Kentucky State Park Ranger Requirements
Park supervisor responsibilities in the Commonwealth of Kentucky include managing park rangers while perform duties that they would perform such as park maintenance and education.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Bachelor’s degree
Having the educational experience in the following areas can substitute for work experience:
- Business administration
- Public administration
In addition, experience can replace schooling. One year of experience equals one collegiate year.
- Background check
- Drug screen
- Keeping a driver’s license that is legal
- Driving is required
A few significant duties for Park Ranger in Kentucky include the following:
- Facility care and operations
- Gear and supplies stock
- Reporting and records
- Visitor public relations
- Preparing records and functional reports
Conditions to Work as a National Park Ranger in Kentucky
Kentucky’s national parks can easily attract over 1.5 million visitors per year.
Mammoth Cave National Park is renowned all around the globe because of its vast quantity of caverns. Within this cave system that is complex, called the longest on the planet, are over 367 miles of caverns which have been explored. The Green and Nolin rivers supply miles of waters that used or can be navigated for fishing.
Kansas has two career paths for park rangers. Applicants for all these kinds of positions can apply for employment at the GS-05 or GS-07 level. What’s needed for these degrees are rather distinct and therefore are described below.
Basic Requirements for GS-05 and GS-07
- Legal driver’s license
- At least 21 years of age
- GS05: Bachelor’s degree including 24 hours of related classes like the following:
- Law enforcement
- Fish & Wildlife Management
- GS-07: One year of graduate study in a subject that is related
Applicants without formal school training can nevertheless apply for places as national park rangers provided they possess these sorts of qualifications:
- GS-05: Work at the GS-04 level that may include the following:
- Park guide experience
- Law enforcement experience
- GS-07: Expertise using law enforcement abilities to guard parks or visitors
Education and expertise may be joined to satisfy with these conditions.
Salary Information for Park Rangers in Kentucky
Park Rangers in Kentucky take home a great salary while pursuing a fulfilling career protecting the land of his or her state. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average Park Ranger in the state of Kentucky make a median salary of $45,430 per year.
Schooling Information for Park Rangers in Kentucky
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- Homeland Security, BA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- JM: American Legal Studies
- JM: General
- JM: Health Law
- JM: International Legal Studies
- JM: Special Student (Non-Degree Seeking) - Legal Studies
- LLM: International Legal Studies
- MPA: Law & Public Policy
- MS: Criminal Justice
- MS: Criminal Justice: Forensic Psychology
- MS: Criminal Justice: Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- Doctor of Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism & Homeland Security concentration
- MS in Criminal Justice: Public Safety Administration concentration
- Associate in Science Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Criminology
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Homeland Secu
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Police Admini
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc Human Services
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc in Corrections
- Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security
- Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security with concentration in Secure Programming
- AA: Criminal Justice
- BA: Criminal Justice
- BA: Criminal Justice - Criminalistics
- BA: Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics