Are you interested in working as a Park Ranger with a Criminal Justice Degree?
There is a viable academic path that can be taken prior to working as a Park Ranger. If interested in working as a Park Ranger, one may first seek a college degree in Criminal Justice. A Criminal Justice degree will inform a student with a well-rounded education that benefits the future park ranger for many of the following types of tasks.
Park Ranger Peace Officer
Park Rangers working as peace officers are mandated to perform important responsibilities of a park ranger; additionally, these are professionals who are well-trained and have certification to conduct various law enforcement duties.
Park rangers working in the capacity of peace officers may be called upon to perform any of the following tasks:
- Public education and interpretation
- Community outreach programs and activities
- Interpretive programs
- Junior ranger programs
- Public safety
- Services of law enforcement
- Emergency medical response activities/medical aid
- Maintaining (and operating) emergency medical equipment
- Assisting visitors
- Making sure that visitors are compliant with all regulations
- Offering park general information
- Resource management and protection of park
Law Enforcement Rangers
Law enforcement rangers are trained as law enforcement officers empowered with ability to conduct such tasks as making arrests, implementing investigations, and utilizing a sidearm when necessary. Law enforcement Park Rangers ensure that the park is safe and secure at all times. Park rangers sometimes perform emergency functions, and they frequently patrol the parks to ensure a safe and secure environment for the park’s visitors at all times.
The following are just some of the important responsibilities of law enforcement rangers:
- emergency management, including wild land fire, emergency medical services, and search and rescue
- criminal activity investigation
- criminal suspect apprehension
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
At varying times, rangers will patrol by bicycle, snowmobile, ATV, boat, and horseback. Law enforcement rangers sometimes work on special teams such as: scuba diving teams , K-9, suppression of wildfires, and search and rescue.
Rangers are usually mandated to finish police academy in order to be authorized as officers of law enforcement with appropriate certification for firearms.
Criminal Justice Bachelor’s degree topics can include the following areas:
- Criminal justice systems and processes
- Criminal justice data analysis
- Ethics in the criminal justice system
- Theories of criminal behavior
- Methods of criminal justice research
- Leadership and management in criminal justice
A Criminal Justice degree program can provide the student with an comprehensive educational background in law enforcement, corrections, and the judicial system in a way that can greatly benefit the student when later working in the field as a Park Ranger.
Learn How to Become a Park Ranger in Your State
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Park Ranger Programs and Educational Opportunities
(It’s fast and free!)
Choose your area of study and receive free information about programs you are interested in. Park rangers are responsible for protecting our parks and wilderness areas as well as guiding and educating the public. These duties are the same across the local, state, and national levels. Park rangers pursue degrees related to parks and recreation, environmental science, as well as law enforcement and criminal justice.