Are you interested in finding out more about Utah Park Ranger Training and Degree Requirements in order to accelerate your career? We have compiled some important information for you.
Utah has 43 state parks and five national parks throughout the state. Utah park rangers are professionals who take pride in ensuring the security and well-being of park visitors as well as the amazing natural resources of the state.
A primary step toward becoming a park ranger in Utah is by procuring a college education, especially in an area which is related to park ranger work. Nominees should exemplify an upstanding private character without serious criminal convictions; candidates should also possess a great work ethic, as well as a noticeable enjoyment in working well with people.
Park Ranger Utah Demands
An applicant must have a Bachelor’s degree as a basic standard for the state park ranger occupation. Having a degree that is related may also place one in a viable position for consideration of federal park ranger occupations at the national parks throughout Utah.
Related aspects of study span the following:
- Criminal Justice
- Political Science
- Law Enforcement
When a related occupation statement becomes accessible future applicants should track this website and apply quickly. Applications will soon be screened to make sure that they satisfy the minimal conditions, particularly in terms of schooling expectations.
Nominees who make it through the first screening will soon be encouraged to advance in the application process:
- Polygraph evaluation
- Private history and background investigation
- Drug screening/medical exam
Prior to training academy, new park rangers will have to finish a Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) Entrance Exam, as well as a physical evaluation test that covers:
- Cardiovascular endurance
Park rangers are especially trained as law enforcement officers in addition to obtaining expertise in wildlife specialties. This unique training happens within the Utah POST Academy:
- Wildland firefighting
- Performing necropsy evaluations
- Creature saving
- Trail direction
- Questioning of suspects
- Hunting and fishing regulations
- Techniques for arrest/restraint
- Rescue of animals
Federal Park Ranger Positions with all the National Parks Service
The national park ranger occupation course differs from state-level places.
There are various categorizations of national park rangers, with entry level conditions falling into one among these groups:
- Bachelor degree in an area that is related
- A year of specialized work experience in a park ranger-connected area
- A mix of schooling, as well as expertise
- One year of graduate-level study in an area that is related
- One year of high level specialized work experience in a subject that is related
- A mix of experience and equivalent education
Park rangers pursuing a job description which includes a law enforcement emphasis may also need to perform a Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program (SLETP).
Applications for park ranger (federal) opportunities should be completed online via job announcements posted on the primary federal employment website.
Salary Information for Park Rangers in Utah
Park Rangers in Utah take home a great salary while pursuing a fulfilling career protecting the land of his or her state. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average Park Ranger in the state of Utah makes a median salary of $56,650 per year.
Schooling Information for Park Rangers in Utah
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Master of Science in Criminal/Social Justice
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics