Have you been searching for more information on South Dakota Park Ranger Training and Degree Requirements in order to advance your career? We have compiled some excellent information for you here.
Park rangers working for the South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks Agency are highly skilled law enforcement professionals that have been selected above many applicants.
Working to protect South Dakota’s greatest natural resources, park rangers work at dozens of places throughout the state where they act as first responders in cases of crises.
Qualifications for South Dakota Park Rangers
Those of you who are considering trying to get park ranger work in South Dakota must ensure that you adhere to the minimal conditions as stated from the Game, Fish and Parks Agency.
Procuring a Bachelor’s degree is a great way for applicants to advance their applications beyond the others; although higher education isn’t a prerequisite for employment with the Game, Fish and Parks Agency.
Related majors would include ones such as the following (and others):
- Public Management
- Law Enforcement
- Natural Sciences
- Business Administration
The Game, Fish and Parks Agency gives preference to candidates with the following certifications/qualifications:
- First Aid and CPR
- Emergency Management Tech
- First Responder
These conditions must be adhered to by applicants for park ranger occupations:
- Haven’t abused drugs at least a year just before application
- Maintain good moral character
- Be a U.S. citizen at least 21 years old
One other significant prerequisite for employment is expertise and training. Applicants have two options for how they’re able to satisfy this standard:
- Graduation from your National Park Service Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program (SLETP)
- An equal mixture of training as well as law enforcement expertise
The SLETP is supplied at places through the entire United States. All SLETP grads will receive instruction and training that qualifies them to do the following:
- Make arrests
- Help in the performance of warrants
- Carry firearms
- Investigation of offenses
The SLETP program in Ely has the value of 19 credits; education is offered on the duration of an academic term.
The application for these positions needs to be filled out in its entirety and submitted to the address within the job announcement. Once nominees are selected to continue in the hiring procedure, they need to focus on completing the following important steps:
- Drug screening
- Background investigation
- Medical exam
Federal Park Ranger Work in South Dakota
The National Park Service also relies on superb park rangers in South Dakota. These federal workers possess a similar job role as their counterparts through the state, and help protect and handle South Dakota’s picturesque national parks.
Learning to be a federal park ranger differs from learning to be a state ranger; it will include submitting an application through the federal government’s primary employment website.
The hiring procedure can also be different but calls for similar measures, and nominees should satisfy similar fundamental conditions like passing a drug test and being a U.S. citizen.
There are a number of different types of federal park rangers, with entry level opportunities at the levels of GS-05 and GS07. These ranks designate the minimum qualifications needed for application:
GS-05 – one of the following is mandated:
- One year of specialized park ranger expertise
- A Bachelor degree having a major course of study associated with the park ranger responsibilities
- A blend of expertise and education
GS-07 – one of the following is mandated:
- One year of useful expertise and advanced experience
- A blend of expertise and education
Salary Information for Park Rangers in South Dakota
Park Rangers in South Dakota take home a great salary while pursuing a fulfilling career protecting the land of South Dakota. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average Park Ranger in the state of South Dakota makes a median salary of $49,010 per year.
Schooling Information for Park Rangers in South Dakota
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice A.A.S.
- Criminal Justice B.S.
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Master of Science in Criminal/Social Justice
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics